Skip to main content

Analyzing Analyst Struggles

Raise your hand if you are an analyst and you've run into one of these issues before:

  • Data Discrepancies: Your stakeholder approaches you and says, "I noticed the data in your report doesn't match the data in this other report.  Which one is correct?"

  • No Data: Your stakeholder asks for some data but after some further research, you realize that product team never implemented the proper tracking.  Zero.  Zilch.  Nada.

  • Blocked Access: Your stakeholder asks for a dashboard that requires integration from multiple data sources.  You go to query the data but realize you don't even have access to one of the databases.
     
  • Ad Hoc Request Madness: Multiple stakeholders ask for data, dashboards, and insights all at the same time.  And they want it yesterday.

  • Groundhog Day Questioning: Your stakeholders ask the same questions over and over and over again.

Below I've laid out some of the Top Analyst Struggles along with the impacts that these struggles can lead to.  These are just a handful of issues you may experience while being a Data Analyst.  You'll encounter all kinds of issues throughout your career as an analyst, but know that they are all part of the job.  It's up to you (sometimes working closely with others) to try and figure them out in order to help your stakeholders reach their goals.

Data Quality & Accuracy:
    • Collecting reliable and clean data when dealing with multiple data sources or complex tracking implementations 
IMPACT: Inaccurate data can lead to incorrect insights and recommendations for an analyst

Understanding Business Objectives:
    • Understand stakeholder/client's business objectives and goals
    • Clients may not clearly articulate their objectives
IMPACT:  Analysts might struggle to align their analysis with the goals, making it harder to provide actionable recommendations

Data Privacy & Compliance:
    • Need to navigate the complexities of compliance
    • Client data is handled in a manner that complies with regulations
IMPACT: An analyst may have to integrate anonymization techniques to obtain consent

Data Integrations:
    • Integrating data from various sources can be complex
    • Technical issues, data compatibility, data governance, etc
IMPACT:  Analysts sometimes struggle with merging data from different platforms to create a comprehensive view of the customer journey

Communicating Complex Insights:
    • Presenting insights in a clear and meaningful way can be a struggle
    • Translating technical terms and complex data into insights that are not easily understandable for clients who don't have a strong background in analytics, can be difficult
IMPACT: Without effective communication skills, analysts will struggle to ensure that their clients comprehend, appreciate, and trust the insights being provided

Resource Constraints:
    • Nothing is more stressful than being short staffed and taking on large workloads
    • Analysts might face constraints around time, tools, budget, etc
IMPACT: If an analysts had limited resources, it can have a huge impact on the depth and breadth of the analysis that can be performed

Keeping Up With Technology:
    • Analytics is a rapidly evolving field (especially with AI now working its way in)
    • Continuous learning and development is needed
IMPACT: Analysts that don't keep pace with the latest tools, methodologies, and industry trends, will quickly fall behind the younger up and coming analysts 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yahoo! 'Assists' Their Advertisers On PPC Bidding

For those who have explored Yahoo's latest web analytics options, you have most likely come across the 'Assists' report and wondered what the heck it is. Even more so, you may have asked yourself, "How am I supposed to use it?" First let me break down what Assists are. Assists are simply keywords that played a part in assisting other keywords in getting a conversion. Huh? Ok , here's an example: Let's say I'm a visitor looking to purchase a computer. I go to Yahoo.com and run a search using the term "computer" . I decide on clicking the Sony sponsored search ad for computers. I dig around on the SonyStyle.com web site but end up not purchasing anything. I then come back 14 days later and use the search term "Laptop" on Yahoo.com. But this time I decide to click on a different Sony sponsored search ad....for laptops. I reach the same SonyStyle.com site and I finally decide to make a puchase (conversion). The results in Yahoo.... The ...

Hey retailers, it's time to step up your coupon game!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news retailers but I can't find your coupons online.  I've run countless coupon related searches (on all of the major search engines) for some of your largest brands such as Staples, Target, McDonalds, Home Depot, and CVS to name a few. To be quite honest, it's a lousy consumer experience. All I see are countless affiliate sites that claim to offer me coupons from the retailer but RARELY deliver.  Sites like Techbargains.com serve up links which you think will provide you with a coupon but all they do is redirect you to the retailer's home page.  I invite you to try it.  Click on one of the green 'Activate Coupon' buttons to access the particular coupon: http://www.techbargains.com/staplescoupons.cfm .  It tells you to 'Please wait while we activate your deal' as it downloads who knows what to your system.  Just when you get excited about being presented with a coupon that you can print out and take into the ret...

Why ComScore Paid Click Reports Aren't Valuable For Advertisers

Every month there is a comparison report released by ComScore that discusses the paid click search engine battle between Google and Yahoo!. For example, you may have recently read a headline titled, "Google moves further ahead of Yahoo in paid ad clicks". The press simply eats these reports up because they enjoy writing about the big battle between Yahoo! and Google. But if they ever took the time to break the data down and really analyze it, they may be surprised to see that while more clicks mean more money for Google, it also may mean a higher CPA (Cost Per Acquisition) for their advertisers. So are these reports really valuable to advertisers? Should advertisers think that just because Google drives more paid clicks that they should only use Google (because a lot of advertisers do think this way)? Since those writers don't have the time to sit down and actually analyze the real data, I decided I'd do it for them and help answer these questions. So here it goes (No...